The Volcano of Methana belongs to the volcanic arc of the Aegean with intense volcanic activity between the periods of 276 to 239 b.C. The most famous crater of the volcano is situated above the village of Kameni Hora with a depth of 50 meters and a diameter of 100 meters. The path to the crater is carved from lava offering a beautiful hiking experience. Other craters exist in the regions of Kipseli, Makrilogos and Mouska. The volcano boats 30 craters.
The Volcano of Kameni Xora is one of the newest in the volcanic arc of Aegean. Its explosion must have taken place during the reign of Antigonus Gonatas (277-240 BC), according to the reports of Strabonas, Ovidius (Metamorphoses, XV, st.296-306) and with what Pausanias mentions in his work. Ovidius also indicates that the whole area around the village of Kameni Xora was an extensive and rich in fruits plain but the intense volcanic eruption has covered a large part of the village with lava and ash.
In the peninsula of Methana there have been a record of thirty craters, with the last record to be made in 1987 with an undersea crater at a depth of 200 meters. The largest terrestrial crater is located in Throni location, west of Methana.
We can find other large craters at the southeast of the Xelona mountain in Stavrologos, to the location Makrilogos, to Ano Mouska and Kipseli villages From the above craters, those who were last active were the ones close to Kameni Hora.
In the volcanic arc of the Aegean pelagos there are the volcanos of Sousaki, Aegina, Methana, Poros, Velopoulos, Karavi, Falkonera, Antimilos, Milos, Kimolos, Polybius, Strogilou, Despotikou, Spyridonision, Antiparos, Christianon, Santorini, Kos, Nisyros, Halicarnassus and Patmos.
This volcanic arc gave rise to the manifestation of volcanic activity in the southern Aegean during the ancient times. Then occurred many eruptions, around at the end of the tertiary period, after the Alpine folds, and continued during the Quaternary period.
At Villa Dolphins, apart from the personal care of your needs and the creation of a warm atmosphere, we also deal with the constant improvement of the services we offer to our guests. We try to combine the best possible accommodation with your enjoyment and outdoors activities for a more "dynamic" holiday.
* Βoat trips around the island so that you can see all the hidden beauty and swimm in small beaches with no access from the road
* Horse riding in the picturesque mountains of Poros island, amongst the nature and the trekking paths.
* Fishing by a traditional fishing boat and a profesional with you to the rich fishing grounds around the rocky shores of the Poros island.
* Bicycling around the island or across on the mainland to visit beautiful places such as the Monastery, Neorio, the Lover's bay, the Russian Shipyard and even the min town of Poros island.
* Day trips to the other islands of the Argosaronic such as Hydra island, Spetses island, Aegina island, Agistri island
* Day trips by rented car or mini bus (with or without a driver) to archeological sites on the mainland such as Ancient Epidaurus, Ancient Corinth, Ancient Mycenae, Ancient Troizina or the Covered Tombs of Magoula etc.
Poros is the island of peace, romance and jauntiness. It is overgrown with pine trees which reach the rugged shores or the sandy beaches. The residents of Poros are like all islands, spontaneous, decent and hospitable.